Writing instruction takes place during a structured Writing Workshop. Students learn to observe the world in and around them, write drafts, revise, edit, as well as present polished and well-crafted pieces of writing. Writing instruction focuses students on different genres, writers, and on the craft of writing. Students write every day as part of the on-going process of creating authentic, meaningful writing.
- Curriculum: Teacher’s College Writing Workshop
- Purpose: Explicit modeling of writing across genres. Guided and independent practice. Reflection and feedback.
- Components: Mini-lesson, guided practice, independent practice, reflection/share.
- Time Allocation: 30-40 minutes five times a week.
- Classroom Set-Up: Space for modeling and shared writing (whole group or parallel groups), space for independent writing, designated place for writing visuals and materials.